BOARD BULLET FOR MARCH 16, 2017
The following is a summary of the Olentangy Local School District Board of Education's March 16, 2017 Business Session:
- The Board heard a presentation from gifted students at Hyatts Middle School who recently represented the district during an Ohio Association for Gifted Children Conference. The students spoke about their career goals and what it means to be a gifted student.
- Superintendent Mark Raiff provided the Board with a final update on the redistricting process, which culminated with Raiff's March 14, 2017 announcement of new attendance boundaries. Mr. Raiff thanked the various Attendance Boundary Committee and staff members involved in the process. The Board also heard from Scott Leopold, with DeJong Richter, who outlined the changes in the attendance boundaries. The final map can be viewed here.
- President Roger Bartz thanked the community for its understanding of the reasons behind the redistricting process. Mr. Bartz also encouraged the public to attend the next One Community: Inclusion and Equity Conference. In addition, Mr. Bartz advised that he and Board member Kevin O'Brien recently met with the district's investment advisors, RedTree Investment Group, to receive an overview of the firm's approach to investing.
- Superintendent Mark Raiff highlighted recent accomplishments from around the district and provided the Board with a brief update on the construction of Olentangy Berlin High School (OBHS). He also advised the Board that the district received 60 applicants for the OBHS principal position, has conducted 14 interviews and has selected four finalists. A final round of interviews will be held in April.
- Treasurer Emily Hatfield reported that she attended a recent Ohio School Board Association (OSBA) legislative conference and heard presentations regarding pending legislation impacting schools. In addition, Ms. Hatfield advised that she and Board member Dave King also met with legislators on the district's efforts to receive fair funding from the state.
- Treasurer Emily Hatfield provided the Board with a recap of the discussion on the financial aspects that leasing the office building at 7840 Graphics Way Drive would have on the district's five-year financial forecast. Facilities Director Jeff Gordon answered Board questions related to the lease agreement and the renovation needs at the Graphics Way Drive and the current administrative offices. The District would use approximately $888,000 to renovate both buildings to allow the administrative staff to be relocated to the Graphics Way Drive building and create preschool classrooms in the current administrative offices.
Action Items: All action items were approved as presented. Highlights include:
- Approved a $762,927 contract with Dura-Seal for district-wide paving improvements.
- Approved an amendment to a sanitary sewer agreement and tap fees to the Delaware County Regional Sewer District.
- Approved a lease agreement with MCTR Properties Ltd. LCC. for the building at 7840 Graphics Way Drive.
The next meeting of the Olentangy Local
School Board of Education will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 13, 2017 in the Administrative