Olentangy Schools 2020 Summer School Program
It may be winter, but it’s already time to prepare for summer school. Olentangy Schools 2020 Summer School Program takes place June 1 - July 6. Registration opens on the PowerSchool Parent Portal on March 1 and ends May 29 at 11:59 p.m. The cost is $210 per course. If a student lives in the district but does not attend an Olentangy school, registration can be done by phone at 740-657-5800 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The program is open only to Olentangy students and/or residents.
Who should enroll?
- Students who believe they will not pass a course needed for graduation. Please talk with your counselor and parents when choosing this option.
- Students who want to accelerate learning. You will not be permitted to sign up for a course out of sequence without guidance counselor permission.
- Students who can handle an accelerated pace. There are 80-120 hours required per course. We suggest a maximum of two courses only.
What is the format?
- Schoology courses are 100% online. Those classes are CP English 9, 10, 11 and 12, Physical Education, and Health. View the Schoology Summer School Course Descriptions.
- APEX courses are online with in-person tutoring. APEX courses are Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra II, Intro to Algebra II, Algebra III, Pre-Calculus, CP Earth and Space Science, World History, Geography, Economics, U.S. Government, and U.S. History. Tutoring sessions are held from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays in June, beginning Tuesday, June 2 and running through Thursday June 25. Sessions are held at the OASIS wing of Olentangy Shanahan Middle School. View the APEX Online Course Descriptions.
- An in-person course is offered for Lifetime Fitness, locations vary.
Lifetime Fitness PE Course
How to enroll
Students cannot register themselves, and guidance counselors cannot register students. Parents must go to the PowerSchool Parent Portal to register (same area as “lunch account” or “pay fees”). A mandatory orientation will take place at Olentangy Orange High School on June 1 for Schoology students (5 p.m.) and APEX students (6 p.m.). At that time, students will receive their login credentials and passwords.
Ohio State Tests
Ohio's State Tests will be required for students taking CP English 10 (July 14), Algebra 1 or Geometry (July 15), and U.S. Government or U.S. History (July 16). You will be asked at registration if you plan to take the test. If you answer no or leave that question blank, you will be expected to take the test in the late fall at your home high school. You may prepare for these tests by going to the OST Schoology test prep course. The access code for the course is 5DQHR-MQPW7. Please report to Shanahan Middle School between 7:30 a.m. - 7:45 a.m. on your test day. Testing will start promptly at 8 a.m. You will enter the building through the doors on the far right side of the building. Signage will be posted outside. You will be required to have a photo ID with you. It can be a school or state-issued ID. If you are taking a math test, you may bring a graphing calculator, or one can be supplied for you.