February is shaping up to be a very busy month. With that being said, I wanted to make sure I sent out some additional information so you had it on your radar. Here we go:
1 - February is Black History Month. We are celebrating all month long with many different activities in and around the building. One of the most popular ways to celebrate at OBHS is our Black History Month Bracket! Each day, a different Influential African American figure is highlighted over the announcements, and students can vote with the link below to determine the winner. Black History Month Bracket
2 - February 7th at the home boys Basketball game we will host our First Responders night - There are 3 different things happening that night. If you bring a brand new smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector, you will get 2 free entries into the Basketball game. Also All first responders in attendance will be recognized at half time. Last, there will be a scholarship presentation made at halftime in honor of the Reitter family and this will be a way to celebrate and honor their memory. The game starts at 7:30pm. 1st Responders Night Information
3 - Olentangy Berlin will be hosting an "All OLSD Pep Rally" Saturday, February 29th at 4:00pm. Everyone is welcome!
We will have music, competitions, cheering contests, fine art celebrations and much more!! Come help us celebrate all of the great things happening in and around the Olentangy School district!!
4 - Parent teacher conference nights are February 13th and 20th from 3:30pm-7:00pm on both nights. We would love to see you up here at the building! Parent-Teacher Conference Sign-Up
5 - Our theater department is performing Cinderella February 21st, 22nd and 23rd. Tickets go on sale to the public Friday, February 7th. Visit our website for a link. OBHS Website
7 - Scheduling sheets and on-line scheduling for all grades should be completed by February 7th. Questions? Please have your student stop in student services.
That is all for now, I just wanted to make sure you had all of the news you needed for you and your student to have a successful February at 3140BSR
Remember...Berlin Pride, It's Forever!!
Bears - Another banner week here at Berlin! Students, staff and the Berlin community accomplished A LOT this week. Here is a "to the point" run-down:
- Our Student Services Counselors visited all of our middle schools for the second time in 2 weeks and met with every single "rising bear" and collected scheduling sheets, reviewed on-line requests, answered questions, advised and made recommendations for upcoming 20-21 classes!!
- All of our returning students (current 9th, 10th,11th) need to have their scheduling sheet turned in by February 7th along with their on-line requests completed through PowerSchool. Any questions?? Please reach out to Student Services. Student Services Information
- Academically, there were many assessments and checkpoints in our classrooms and teachers and students were able to assess where they were with that particular unit, lesson or topic. This is always a priority, but especially at the mid-way point through the 9 weeks, it is more crucial than ever!
- Celebrations continue on 3140BSR... We celebrated the hard work of 12 of our students at the January Student of the Month ceremony! They were recognized for academic achievement and for being all around great Bears!
- We have over 40 large metal picture frames all over the building, 11x17 and 17x24 inch color photos in each frame that highlight our students. These pictures are rotated once or twice a month so that we are able to celebrate academics, athletics, the arts and student life. We support everyone wearing the DOUBLEBLUE!
- Our athletic teams continue to do great things. Our Boys basketball team logged a couple of wins over the last 3-4 games! Our gymnastics team continues to dominate in most categories. Our bowling and swimming teams are finishing 1st or 2nd in tournaments and meets. The list goes on and on!
Once again, it was a great week at Berlin, and I know I probably forgot a thing or two, but that is a good overview! With that being said, here is a list of things on the horizon here at Berlin:
- Black History Month celebration is happening all of February! We will have many, many interactive activities each day honoring Influential African Americans.
- We are on a Homebase schedule Tuesday February 4th and Tuesday February 11th. Please plan accordinglyBell Schedules
- First Responders Night is Friday, February 7th.First Responders Night Information
- Parent / Teacher Conferences are Thursday Feb 13th and 20th from 3:30pm-7pm. Conference Information
- Our theater department is performing CINDERELLA February 21-23
- Our Juniors will be taking the ACT on February 26th.Junior ACT information
That is all for now. I appreciate your continued support and I look forward to talking with you soon!
Please always remember....Berlin Pride, It's Forever!
- January 22nd is RISING BEAR night at Berlin! This is for all 8th grade students and parents heading to Berlin next year! 6:30-7:30 will be an informational meeting in the auditorium that will cover academics, athletics and other items for parents and students. At 7:30, we will head out to the commons where groups, clubs, content areas and sports teams will have displays and tables with information!
The OLSD will be hosting a "One Community Conference" on February 8th from 7:30am to 4:15pm at OOHS
Conference will take place on February 8 from 7:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. at Olentangy Orange High School. Attendees are welcome to take part in a full day of programming or just portions of the event. Program tracks are designed to share age-appropriate content for kindergarteners-adults. Free childcare is provided for children ages 3-5, which means you can bring the whole family!
- Morning Keynote Speaker: Matthew R. Kay, author, Not Light, But Fire: How to Lead Meaningful Race Conversations in the Classroom
- Afternoon Keynote Speakers: OLSD Students speaking on racial and cultural identity, immigrant and refugee communities, religious diversity, and mental health
- Choose from more than 45 unique workshop sessions for all ages
- Ashland graduate credit and CEUs are available for attending
- February 7th is FIRST RESPONDER night at the Berlin Boys BB game! The Varsity game will tip at 7:30, and our First Responders will be recognized at half-time. Anyone that brings a brand new unopened smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector will get 2 free tickets into the game.
- February 13th and 20th are our Parent-Teacher Conferences. Sign-ups go live at 3pm on February 3rd. Check our Website for those details.
We have had a fantastic first semester at 3140BSR! I am very proud of all the accomplishments that we have experienced together as a BEAR family.
Whether it was in the classroom, on the field, the stage, the court, the mat, the woodshop, the overlook, media center or anywhere else in and around the school, all of us have a lot to be proud of and be thankful for.
With that being said, the exam days went very well and we are wrapping things up in the building and office area preparing for winter break. We will have several activities, games and events over break, so I would encourage you to check out the athletic events on the Berlin athletic website.
Likewise, I always take pictures and give updates on the official building twitter site @todd_spinner
That is all for now, so please enjoy a safe, happy and healthy holiday season and I look forward to seeing you over the break or when we resume for the second semester.
CLAWSUP and remember, Berlin Pride....It’s Forever!!
The weeks seem to be flying by now as we move closer to the second half of the second nine weeks. We had a tremendous beginning of the school year and I just wanted to send out some highlights as well as some reminders and updates on upcoming events and activities.
First, what a great second year season for all of our fall sports teams!! All of our sports and activities had a lot of second year success, and even though football was the last one to finish, it left all of us wanting more next year as the momentum we built as a community (5,500 came to watch on Friday nights), will carry into the winter season. In addition, our Pride of the Bears marching band was excellent again and our theater department put on a great mystery / comedy that showed off our talented Bears!!
Here are a few highlights so far from the last 13 weeks. I know that I will miss some things, but it is always good to look back and smile at our students and what they have done in and around 3140BSR!
6-5 football record (qualified for playoffs!!)
11 awesome band shows!
Great mystery comedy performance in theater
Quiz bowl team continues to rack up victories
Gaming club has put on tons of competitions and tournaments
EPIC boys golf season
The MOMSTER ball
Great community events - Warrior display
Veterans day celebration
160 male choir celebration
Under the lights
Students getting accepted into colleges (Historic!)
Students earning league, district and state honors!
6 total music concerts (orchestra, choir, band)
Senior nights for all of our fall seasons (EPIC)
As I said, I know I missed things and all of you have your favorites and probably could have added a few more to the list, but this is a great start!!
As we move into the end of the nine weeks, I want to remind all of you of a few things:
1 - the exam schedule is attached. It is also on the website. The exams are different at the high school level. Please look at the schedule and remember that students are responsible for being where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be there. Also, it is school. Blankets, pillows, slippers are not acceptable 🙂
2 - Attendance is KEY at all times in the year, but at the end of the nine weeks, we need to make sure students are here on time and in the building. This is for safety and accountability purposes
3 - Academics - Please remind your student to FINISH STRONG. There are 4 weeks left in the nine weeks. FINISH STRONG
4 - Communicate - twitter, email, website, etc... Please stay up on what is happening at BERLIN
That is all for now, and please know that I appreciate all of your constant support and efforts, and please reach out if you need anything from any of us here in the building.
Please remember - BERLIN PRIDE.... IT'S FOREVER!!
- All students, please make sure that we have your cell phone updated in our system. I send out messages often about closures, delays, schedule updates and changes as well as dates, times and activities. I want to make sure you get all of that information!
- Seniors, please make sure that you are paying attention to the dates and times on the senior checklist you were given at the beginning of the first nine weeks!
- All students, please make sure that you are "controlling what you can control". When it comes to academics, athletics, social life and extra curricular activities, make good decisions and "control what you can control!"
- Our theater dept is putting on a great scary / comedy this weekend. Please check the website for details as there are 3 different performance times!
- Please continue to follow OlentangyBerlinBears @Todd_Spinner on Twitter for the latest updates, information and celebrations about OBHS!!
- The second nine weeks is a great opportunity to improve upon some things students could have done better the first nine weeks
- The first nine weeks does not define a students grade for the first semester. It is a combination of both nine weeks.
- We have well over 50 groups, clubs and activities at Berlin. Please encourage your student to get involved in something if they have not already done so
- Follow the building twitter page if you have not already done so. Also, if you have not received messages from me over text this year, please call the main office. Every time we have a delay or an important message, I am very good about sending something out.
- Regardless of your students grade level, they should have or be planning on meeting one on one with their counselor. This builds the relationship and also is a good check point. Please ask if they have done so
- Do your best to encourage your student to attend an event maybe that they might not have interest in. If they do not like football, maybe they go to a game to just see what it is like. Same for theater or band. Why not? If nothing else, they gave it a shot and helped to support other Bears!!
- Last, send out a note to a teacher or two if you get a chance to just check up on your student. This helps to keep the lines of communication open on both ends.
What a GREAT Homecoming week!! The halls were filled with students and staff participating in all of the theme days. I would encourage you to jump on the building Twitter page (OlentangyBerlinBears @Todd_Spinner ) and check them out for yourself! They are also all over our teachers pages as well because they truly love being a part of the 3140 BSR culture! The culture that we have built here is not just wristbands, posters, theme days, sunglasses, bear bumps, claws up, but it is a PURPOSEFUL way of doing things and treating each other so that it is an inclusive and nurturing environment. We have built and continue to build a culture and environment that reflects the belief statement located in all of the classrooms and in the entrance to the building. With that being said, we have a BIG game tonight, and a great opportunity to gather tomorrow for a Victory Homecoming dance!!
Speaking of the dance, here are a few reminders and also heads up for Freshman parents or parents of students that have never attended before:
- I have PURPOSEFULLY developed a "parent paparazzi" for the kids to walk through when they enter the dance. Parents are welcomed to line the OUTSIDE of the building up the walkway and take pictures as if it were the red carpet entrance. Please do not come into the building as we are setting up and preparing.
- The dance is from 8:00-11:00PM. Please know that students will not be allowed to enter until 8:00PM, and then please make sure you are here at 11:00PM (or earlier) to pick them up. I normally am starving by 11:00PM and want to go home and eat 😉
- Students will all get a dance wristband when they enter. If they are not dancing appropriately, the wristband will be cut off. If they do it a 2nd time, they will leave the dance. Remind them that I am the Principal and not a nightclub owner. We want them to have fun, but dance as if you are at a wedding reception with your family. Be goofy, let loose, but be appropriate 😉
- Do not bring anything into the dance that could get lost. We have a shoe and coat check for $1, but there is not any reason to bring a lot of money or any other items into the dance. Snacks and drinks will be provided.
- We want all kids to come back safely on Monday. Please, please, please, remind them to make good decisions. They are all GREAT kids. However, even great kids make poor decisions sometimes.
That is all for now. Let's get a big victory tonight and then enjoy a fun, safe and successful dance on Saturday!!
I purposely put that in bold lettering, because it is a very exciting and important time in a high school student's career. However, the only way it can be a fun and memorable experience, is if everyone does what they are supposed to do. So, parents, I am asking for your help. These are reminders and items that all of us need to work together to accomplish. I am going to list out the events and activities, and then follow up with how you can help. Here we go...
Spirit Week Days for Students
Monday - Maui Monday
Tik Tok / Twin Day Tuesday - Bonfire that night after boys soccer game
Decades Wednesday (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s...)
Jerzday Thursday (Wear your favorite jersey)
Double Blue Friday - Pep rally, parade, and Football Friday Night!!
Saturday - HOMECOMING DANCE - 8:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m. (Berlin Commons)
All of us want our students to have fun and make memories, but here is where we all need to pull on the same side of the rope. I will be doing this at school, so if we can echo each other, that would be great:
-Have fun with the spirit days, but your outfit MUST BE school appropriate.
-The bonfire is HOT... There will be 300-400 students, the band, the cheerleaders, the FB team, etc... Dress accordingly and bring your phone for videos and pics. It is REALLY cool!!
-The Dance... All of our kids are great kids, but even great kids make poor decisions. Texting and driving cannot happen. There are SOOO many kids on the road on Saturday night. Remind them to be extra cautious!
- The use of any illegal substances (drugs and alcohol) cannot happen. Too many things weigh in the balance (lives, futures, etc).
-Appropriate dancing needs to occur. The rule of thumb is to dance as if you were at a wedding reception with your family. Have fun, be goofy, enjoy yourself, but this is not a nightclub and I am not a nightclub owner. I am the Principal. So, if students are dancing inappropriately, they will be called out and might feel embarrassed. So, dance appropriately, and I promise there is nothing to worry about!!
-All students will get a wristband at the dance, and if they are dancing inappropriately, they will get it removed and may be removed from the dance.
-The dance ends promptly at 11:00 p.m. Parents, please be out front at 11:00 p.m. to pick up your student. They feel embarrassed if they have to wait a while for a ride. They like talking to me, but not that much 😉
That is all for now. If we send the same message at school and at home, we can have a very successful and FUN Homecoming Week, Game, and Dance!!
Thank you, Claws-up, and Remember... Berlin Pride... It's Forever!!
- Dress Code - If your student has to ask themselves if it is an appropriate outfit, chances are it is not
- Bells - We tell the kids that they ring for a reason... 😉
- BYOD building. We are a Bring Your Own Device to class building. We encourage using technology when it is appropriate
- Bear Belief Statement. We have this in every classroom. Please remind students to review the statement
- Sports and extracurricular activities - All school rules apply - Represent the DoubleBlue with pride!
- Academic expectations - This is the reason we are here.
- Homecoming dance (any dances) - This is a high school dance and I am a Principal and not a nightclub owner. Students need to dance and dress appropriately. We need your help reminding them 😉
- We are half way through the first nine weeks. Please double check Powerschool with your student and see where they are academically. It is a GREAT half way check!
- Thursday, September 26th and October 3rd are both Parent/Teacher conference nights. 3:30-7:00pm - see you there!
- Volleyball has a Volley for the Cure on Thursday the 26th as well. Big bake sale that night!
- The Suburban College Fair information is approaching. See the information in the Bear Tracks!
- The FASFA website and application will open on Oct 1st for Senior parents.
- Our groups, clubs and activities are in full swing! Please encourage your student to get involved and visit a club!
- We always have sporting events in and around Berlin. We have a home football game tonight at 7:00pm. The weather will be fantastic - See you at the game!
TODD D. SPINNER
- Home football game tonight 7:00PM.
- No School Monday September 2nd.
- BYOD - (Bring Your Own Device) - We want to encourage students to bring chromebooks or laptops to school.
- Parking permits - This is a safety issue. ALL student vehicles need to have a permit. We will start enforcing next week. Students also must park in the front of the building. There are PLENTY of spots.
- Pep-Rally schedule on September 6th for our game against Canal Winchester.
- Dress code - The rule of thumb for me is always, if a student has to ask themself in the morning if the outfit is school appropriate, then most of the time it is not. We have shirts and other items to help correct choices that are not appropriate, but we are asking for you to send the same message at home as well. We want students to be comfortable, but there is a dress code for a reason. Thank you!
- Attendance - Both before 1st period and all periods throughout the day, students need to be on time. This is 100% for safety and accountability reasons. We monitor and work with students on a daily basis. This never has been an issue at Berlin, but we want to continue to send the message
- Parking - Students need to have a parking tag if they are in our parking lot. Tags can be purchased in student services. We will be monitoring for safety reasons all year long. The entire form needs to be filled out please.
- Senior Memory book information is available with this email. It is an OLSD tradition, don't miss out!!
- The Senior parent meeting went VERY well! Information can be found on our website. There are a lot of important dates and times on the site.
- Football games - Students are not to bring anything other than their double blue spirit!! We do not allow bags or drinks in the stadium on football Friday night. This is for safety and security reasons and goes for stringbags, food, drinks, etc... There is an admission fee for tonight's scrimmage ($5.00)
- Class meetings - We will have all class meetings next week to discuss all areas in and around OBHS. We will focus on academics, behavior, attendance, groups, clubs, activities, extra curricular areas, etc...
TODD D. SPINNER