Parent Crisis Communications
We depend on the cooperation and assistance of many people including the local police department, fire department, and ambulance district in order for our emergency-response plans to be effective. The cooperation of parents and students is vital to protecting the safety and welfare of all our children and school employees.
Therefore, parents must observe the following procedures during a crisis situation:
- Do not telephone the school. We understand and respect your concern, but it is essential that the telephone system be available for emergency communications.
- Tune to local radio and television stations for emergency announcements and status reports. The District Home Page will be the primary source for updates.
- Information may also be sent to parents utilizing the district's email, rapid calling and text message notification system. You will also receive instructions on where you should go and how/when you may be able to pick up your child. Providing timely and accurate information to parents is a priority along with the safety of each child.
- Do not come to the school or evacuation location until you are instructed to do so. It may be necessary to keep the streets and parking lot clear for emergency vehicles. If evacuation is required, students may be transported to a location away from the school. Olentangy Schools has sites planned and mobilization plans in place (We do not publicize all locations to protect the children and the specific emergency). You will be notified of the locations through the media, district website, or by the district's rapid calling system.
- Talk to your children and emphasize how important it is for them to follow instructions from their teachers and school officials during any emergency.
- Carefully read all information you receive from your school. You may receive updates about our safety precautions from time to time or parent alerts for possible safety concerns.
We hope you find the information contained here helpful in your understanding of and response to emergency situations. We encourage you to contact your building administrator if you have specific questions. We prepare and drill throughout the school year for event training in hopes we never have to implement these emergency plans.