Military Family Resources
The Olentangy Local School District values the many families that live in our community who have ties to the military. As a district, we understand that military youth go through unique circumstances and situations and we want every military family to know we are here to help. This webpage is designed to provide you with easy access links to helpful resources. In addition, the staff in our schools have experience in assisting military youth and their families, so please don’t hesitate to reach out to your school counselor for additional assistance.
The Olentangy Local School District also acknowledges and celebrates our military families and military history throughout the district in several ways, including:
- Veterans Appreciation Night at our high school football and basketball games
- Veterans Day events held throughout the district
- Displays and recognition of past Veterans at certain schools
- Fundraising drives for military-related organizations such as Honor Flight
- Liberty Middle School is our first Purple Star award-winning school. The award recognizes the school as being committed to serving military youth and meeting the criteria set forth by Ohio Department of Education to be classified as military-friendly.
Helpful Links for Military Families
- The Purple Star Award: for military-friendly schools recognizes schools that show a major commitment to students and families connected to our nation’s military. Schools that earn the award will receive a special Purple Star recognition to display onsite.
- Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC): The mission of MCEC is to ensure inclusive, quality educational opportunities for all military-connected children affected by mobility, transition, deployments and family separation.
- Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission: The Compact provides information addressing key educational transition issues encountered by military families including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation.
- Ohio Military Youth and Family Events Calendar: A listing of Ohio military youth activities and camps compiled by the Ohio Adjutant General's Department.
- Ohio Family Readiness and Warrior Support Program : The Family Readiness and Warrior Support programs are designed to teach Ohio’s Service Members and Families to be “good fishermen” – knowledgeable, aware of resources, adaptable, and networked to succeed and grow from the experiences unique to military culture. In addition to providing information, the programs provide a platform to meet and relate to other Service Members and Families who understand the challenges and experiences of military life – and in particular, the challenges facing our geographically dispersed force.
- Military One Source: A central hub and go-to-place for the military community. Provides information about military benefits, deployments, reintegration, moves, parenthood, retirement and more.
- Ohio Military Kids: A support network for military youth who experience a loved one's deployment. Provides recreational, social, and educational programs for military youth in civilian communities geographically dispersed throughout the state.
- Delaware County Veterans Services: Assists in making applications for benefits administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), emergency financial assistance and information and guidance in obtaining aid from various federal, state and local organizations.
- ODE - Supporting Ohio's Military Families: Information on a number of Ohio programs to assist military families.
- American Red Cross: Emergency communication for military families, financial assistance, referral services, deployment support and services.
- Veterans Crisis Line: Connects veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text. Veterans and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, chat online, or send a text message to 838255 to receive confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Support for deaf and hard of hearing individuals is available.
- March2Success: Online study materials to help improve scores on standardized tests such as state exit exams, college entrance exams, military entrance exam (ASVAB) and others. Content includes self-paced study programs in Math, English and Science, with a focus of materials on grades 8-12.
- National Military Family Association: Provides information and resources related to services and programs for military families.
- Pets for Vets: Pairs veterans with shelter dogs that are specially selected to match the veterans' personality.
- Our Military Kids: A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization created to provide support (grants) and recognition to military children. Grants pay for participation in activities that help children cope with stress and anxiety while their parents are recovering or absent.
- Sesame Workshop: Provides much-needed support and practical education through Talk, Listen, Connect, a multiphase outreach initiative to help young kids through deployments, combat-related injuries and the death of a loved one.
- Real Warriors: A multimedia public awareness campaign designed to encourage help-seeking behavior among service members, veterans and military families coping with invisible wounds.
- Ohio Higher Education for Veterans: Information and resources related to higher education for veterans, service members and their families.
- Ohio Means Jobs: This site was created to help employers find the right employees and job seekers to find great careers.
- Military Impacted Schools Association: A national organization of school superintendents with a higher concentration of military students. Provides useful links for military families and educator resources.