Olentangy Schools Special Olympics
An update on Olentangy Schools’ Special Olympics:
- Return to Play announcement from Special Olympics Ohio (SOOH)
- There will be no Regional or State events for the remainder of 2020.
- On July 22, 2020, a revised announcement came out from Special Olympics Ohio (SOOH) stating that even though there will be no state events, local organizations may begin conditioning and no-contact sport practices on their own if they elect to do this, following the SOOH guidelines. After careful consideration, Olentangy Schools’ Special Olympics has decided to wait until October 2020 to revisit our return to sports.
- There are some local organizations that have started conditioning or limited participation in a sport and many others that are still monitoring the current conditions and not participating at this time.
The Mission of Special Olympics
The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy, and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes, and the community.
What is needed to participate?
OSSO is open to athletes starting at age 8 who reside within the Olentangy Schools attendance boundaries or who are graduate Alumni of the Olentangy Schools, meet the State eligibility requirements, and have a completed Special Olympics physical form that will be good for three years.
Click on the sport for the current schedule (if available).
- Soccer - mid-August to early October
- Flag Football Skills - September to October
- Swimming - October to February
- Bowling- April to June
- Basketball - October to February
- Cheerleading - October to February
- Track & Field - April to June
- Tennis - April to June
- Gymnastics - March to June
For additional information, please contact OSSO Local Coordinator Sharon Taylor.