Trademark Licensing Program
Trademark Licensing Program Overview
A trademark licensing program gives Olentangy Schools control over its logos and marks, thereby ensuring the quality and consistency of all the district’s merchandise. It also enables the district to generate revenue from the sale of merchandise bearing its logos and marks. The revenue is used to support and enhance many programs throughout the district. Outside of the district, the trademark licensing program creates a cooperative and positive working relationship with the manufacturers and retailers that work with Olentangy Schools.
Anyone wishing to use the marks, logos, and symbols of the schools MUST use a licensed vendor. If you are working with a vendor who would like to become licensed, please direct them to K12 Licensing to complete the application.
What is a trademark?
A trademark is any word mark, slogan, symbol, design, logo or combination of these elements, which identifies and distinguishes the goods or services of one party from others.
- A design that could create a likelihood of consumer confusion due to similarity to the district’s trademarks may be an infringement of the Olentangy Local School District trademark rights.
Where does the royalty revenue come from?
- The manufacturer of the product pays a royalty that is a percentage of the net sales price. This royalty revenue gives the district additional revenue to support district programs.
How does one know that a product is licensed?
- Like the other associations and leagues (NCAA, NFL, NBA, etc.), the product will carry a distinct label and/or hang tag. It will identify the product as “Official NFHS High School Product.”
What if I find product without the hangtag?
- If you find a product without the hangtag, please contact Krista Davis, email@example.com, or Trajan Cunningham, firstname.lastname@example.org, and let them know what kind of product it is and where you found it.
How do I get access to Olentangy Local School District marks and logos?
- Permission must be obtained to use Olentangy Local School District marks and logos. Those interested in becoming an Official Licensed Vendor should contact Trajan Cunningham at email@example.com, or the Communications Department at BrandRequests@olsd.us.
- Local retailers interested in becoming an Approved Licensed Vendor should follow the vendor application process.