On this Veterans Day, Olentangy Schools honors the sacrifices of those who fight to protect our freedom and way of life.
Each year, staff and students are fortunate to learn about the past from those who experienced it. Our schools, with the help of Military Family Liaisons, have remained committed to finding creative ways to continue the traditions and teachings around Veterans Day, and use this year as an opportunity to give back to those who bravely served our country.
Below are a few of the Veterans Day celebrations and activities taking place:
- Hyatts Middle School students are writing letters to the 150 Veterans that usually attend Veterans Day events, and dedicated veteran, Mr. Rich Doritty from the Delaware County Veterans Association and the American Legion Sunbury Post, is leading Hyatts Military Kids to participate in a postcard writing campaign for SourcePoint in Delaware County.
- Shanahan Middle School students are sending Veterans special messages of support and gratitude that will include patriotic music, excerpts from poems, and personal messages. They are also collecting items for holiday care packages to be sent to active-duty military personnel serving around the world.
- Orange Middle School is hosting a series of lunches for military students, and showing a slideshow featuring veterans and active duty service members in the community.
- Oak Creek Elementary students created letters, posters, and pictures that are being delivered to local assisted living facilities to celebrate the veterans living there.
- Olentangy school buildings and our Committed Distance Learning program are giving students the opportunity to share about the veterans and active military service members in our community, and featuring their stories on bulletin board and in videos.
Thank you to all of our Veterans, today and every day.