Greater Efficiencies, Budget Reductions and Historical Cost-Savings Information
OLENTANGY COST-REDUCTION MEASURES 2014-15
- As a result of its Energy Savings Initiative, the district has saved a total of $589,951.58 in energy-related expenses over the last fiscal year as compared to fiscal year 2013.
- As a self-insured organization, the district has realized a savings of more than $230,000 in Workers' Compensation premiums and related expenses. Since becoming self-insured in 2009, the district has saved a total of $2,290,979.
- A safety grant awarded to the district for security camera installation in the schools has saved $111,000.
- The in-house installation of two domestic hot water boilers has saved the district $10,000.
OLENTANGY COST-REDUCTION MEASURES 2013-14
- During the summer months, a 10-hour, four-day workweek schedule has resulted in $282,752 in savings since 2011 by reducing utility and similar operating costs.
- As part of a thorough review of new school-year classroom staffing levels, the district achieved savings of $780,877 by adjusting the new-hire process.
OLENTANGY COST-REDUCTION MEASURES 2012-13
- Reduced building budgets by 20 percent, resulting in a savings of approximately $350,000.
- New negotiated agreements with the Olentangy Teachers Association and the district’s two classified unions will save more than $13 million over the three-year duration of these contracts. The majority of the savings is due to major changes in health insurance plans and a one-year step-increase freeze for teachers. (Members of the classified unions went through a step-increase freeze during the 2011-12 school year.)
- Adjustments to staffing patterns at the middle-school and high-school levels will save $850,000.
OLENTANGY COST-REDUCTION MEASURES 2011-12
|Bring special program services on site||250,000|
|Eliminate random drug testing||180,000|
|Limit athletics transportation||80,000|
|*Reduce printing and postage costs||40,000|
|Eliminate MS athletic directors||140,000|
|*Reduce number of ES assistant principals||413,208|
|*Eliminate 4.5 central office administrators||354,805|
|Non-union classified wage/step freeze||200,000|
|Classified unions wage/step freeze||150,000|
|Reducing MS and HS teaching positions||1,000,000|
|Reducing office aide positions||81,806|
|Reducing literacy support positions||177,214|
* These reductions began during the 2010-11 school year, but 2011-12 school year marks the first year full savings will be realized.
2010-11 School Year: $2,006,364
- $1,300,000 in wage increase costs for the 2011-12 school year through a one-year negotiated contract extension with the Olentangy Teachers Association (OTA) that includes a zero percent base-salary increase.
- $706,364 in wage increase costs for 2010-11 school year through one-year negotiated labor agreements with two of the district’s classified union groups.