Olentangy Schools' Special Olympics
- At this point, the 2020 Spring Sports Season has been canceled.
- The 2020 State Summer Games are also canceled.
- This decision has been made for the safety of all involved.
- Please keep in mind that we follow both Olentangy Schools and Special Olympics Ohio updates.
- In an effort to help keep athletes, their families, and supporters healthy and fit while formal training is suspended, Special Olympics Ohio has launched a virtual program that includes content such as fitness routines, resources for both physical and mental health, and nutrition information. Content posts every day on the Special Olympics Ohio Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram channels.
- Stay safe and healthy during this time.
Olentangy Schools is proud to announce that we have started our own Special Olympics Team. The Olentangy Schools Special Olympics program officially kicked off in Spring 2019 with our first athletes participating in Gymnastics and Track & Field.
The Mission of Special Olympics
The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy, and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes, and the community.
What is needed to participate?
OSSO is open to athletes starting at age 8 who reside within the Olentangy Schools attendance boundaries or who are graduate Alumni of the Olentangy Schools, meet the State eligibility requirements, and have a completed Special Olympics physical form that will be good for 3 years.
Click on the sport for the current schedule (if available).
- Soccer - mid-August to early October
- Flag Football Skills - September to October
- Swimming - October to February
- Bowling - April to June
- Basketball - October to February
- Cheerleading - October to February
- Track & Field - April to June
- Tennis - April to June
- Gymnastics - March to June
For additional information, please contact OSSO Local Coordinator Sharon Taylor.