Olentangy Schools Special Olympics
Olentangy Schools is proud to announce that we have started our own Special Olympics Team. The Olentangy Schools Special Olympics program officially kicked off in Spring 2019 with our first athletes participating in Gymnastics and Track & Field.
The Mission of Special Olympics
The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy, and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes, and the community.
What is needed to participate?
OSSO is open to athletes starting at age 8 who reside within the Olentangy Schools attendance boundaries or who are graduate Alumni of the Olentangy Schools, meet the State eligibility requirements, and have a completed Special Olympics physical form that will be good for 3 years.
- Soccer - mid-August to early October
- Flag Football Skills - September to October
- Swimming - October to February
- Bowling - February to June
- Basketball - October to February
- Cheerleading - October to February
- Track & Field - March to June
- Gymnastics - March to June
- Softball - June to late August
- Equestrian - June to August
If you are interested in having your student participate and/or you would like to volunteer with the program, please complete the Olentangy Special Olympics Athletic/Volunteer Interest Form. For additional information, please contact OSSO Local Coordinator Sharon Taylor.