When: Tuesday, October 23 at 6:30 p.m.
Where: Olentangy’s administrative offices, 814 Shanahan Road, Suite 100 in Lewis Center
Presentation: National Merit Semifinalists and Commended Students – Board President Dave King and Superintendent Wade Lucas, Ed.D., will honor the Olentangy students who earned either Semifinalist or Commended status through the National Merit Scholarship Competition.
Superintendent’s Report – Dr. Lucas will highlight agenda items and achievements within the district including preliminary report card data and receipt of a Race to the Top mini-grant award.
Treasurer’s Report – Treasurer Rebecca Jenkins will provide an update on events pertaining to the district’s finances.
- State Board of Education update – Member Mike Collins will share recent updates from the Ohio Board of Education.
- Internet television station for local community – Ron Smith of SOH Productions will provide an overview on an internet television station his company is launching for the Powell/Lewis Center area.
- Second reading of board policy updates (Exhibit A.1) – Assistant Superintendent Linda Martin will discuss draft policy updates in areas including facilities use, capital improvements, technology and transportation. This set of policies will conclude the overall review and update of all district policies – a process which began more than 18 months ago and would not have been possible without the dedication of the volunteers on the policy committee.
- Second reading of the five-year financial forecast (Exhibit A.2) – Treasurer Rebecca Jenkins will provide a second reading of the district’s five-year financial forecast. She first presented the forecast during the October 9 work session and stated that the forecast had improved significantly since the last update in May. She credited staffing changes, new union contracts and insurance benefit changes as some of the main drivers for the improvement. Ms. Jenkins explained that another important factor was Medical Mutual of Ohio agreeing to waive an insurance premium increase that had been estimated at 25 percent. Ms. Jenkins also discussed the assumptions upon which the forecast is based and noted that any changes in state funding or an urgent need for additional school facilities could have a significant impact on the district’s financial outlook. She concluded her presentation by thanking district staff for being proactive in creating a more efficient and sustainable school district for the Olentangy community. Click here to view Ms. Jenkins’ presentation from October 9.
Board Action Items:
- Approve board policies updates (Exhibit A.1)
- Approve resolution of commitment to the Central Ohio Compact (Exhibit A.3) – The Central Ohio Compact is a document that outlines a partnership between central Ohio colleges, school district and other education organziations in support of regional strategy to improve college preparation, expand postsecondary participation and create a highly skilled and adaptive workforce.
Treasurer’s Action Items include:
- Approve five-year financial forecast (Exhibit A.2)
- Approve memorandum of agreement for deposit of public funds – If approved, this resolution will allow the district to invest funds with FirstMerit Bank at an interest rate that is higher than what Olentangy expects to receive with PNC Bank.
Superintendent’s Action Items include:
- Approve the employment of Pamela Bachman on a thirty-day contract – This contract is to cover a leave of absence in the curriculum department.
- Approve administrative stipend of $10,000 for Director of Business, Facilities and Grounds Jeff Gordon – Mr. Gordon will be taking on extra duties for the remainder of the school year due to the resignation of Andy Kerr, former director of operations.
- Accept bids for Liberty High School corridor project – This project will create additional locker space for students at Olentangy Liberty High School.
This business meeting will have two public participation sessions. The first session is for general comments on topics not being considered as action items. Community members wishing to share general comments must complete a public participation form and submit it to Treasurer Rebecca Jenkins before the start of the meeting. This second session is for comments on action items. To participate in this session, community members must complete a public participation form and submit it to Treasurer Rebecca Jenkins before the action items portion of the meeting.
Click here for more information on the Olentangy Board of Education.